District Writers’ Academy’s mission is to create a safe and inspiring space for young writers to explore, learn and empower themselves through writing.
Enrollment Cap: 8 students.
Instructor: Suzanne Zweizig
Location: Hera Hub DC, 5028 Wisconsin Ave NW, Suite #100
Camp Tuition: $385 (Includes Handbook)
Please familiarize yourself with our refund policy
Sr. Creative Writers Camp Level II--Poetry Writing
(Sr. Level-Rising 10-12 Graders)
July 24- July 28 — 9 a.m.-12 p.m.
This camp will dive into the art of poetry—teaching the basic elements of image, sound, form, description, and figurative language through fun, interactive exercises. We’ll also look at some great writing and meet some wonderful local poets to inspire us. No previous experience in poetry writing is required, just a commitment and curiosity to learn and explore. Students will get plenty of hands-on time to write and create their own body of poetry. This is a great camp for students who are seriously interested in creative writing, or for those who just feel stuck in more traditional writing classes and want to gain confidence writing. The skills learned here will translate into improved academic writing as well.
- Learn basic elements of poetry writing (sound, image, form, description, figurative language) through fun, interactive writing exercises and games
- Write their own poems in our guided, interactive workshops
- Be introduced to great poetry writing
- Have a chance to meet and interact with published DC poets
- Receive constructive, ungraded feedback
- Explore creatively with language and words.
- Develop confidence in the writing process and become better overall writers
- Have the opportunity to submit a poem to publish in our 2023 District Writers’ Academy Camp Anthology
- Receive a course handbook with writing exercises and tips.